We have been through this before and have covered the best app icon-making tips extensively in our other posts, but just in case you need a quick refresher, here is how you create a well-designed, eye-catching app icon that will communicate your app's value clearly and attract attention on the spot:
- Versatility is important: since your icon is going to show up on different screens and devices, you need to make sure it looks equally good and maintains its original quality of design in various sizes and contexts. It has to remain easily recognizable even when the user views it on a smaller screen.
- It is all about simplicity and clarity: in a busy app store, your icon needs to grab attention and show what your application does – all in one go. Keep it simple and avoid using just your logo, at least until your brand is better known by users. Your icon should represent your app's main idea and exploit colors that match its overall design.
- Your icon has to stand out: the more distinctive your icon design is, the easier it is to spot. Pick a unique shape or object, and do not be shy to use bold, vibrant colors.
- Forget about text: texts are sometimes challenging to read, even on larger screens. On a smartphone with its limited screen real estate, using text in your icon will simply be a waste of opportunity to promote your brand.
- Use borders or frame it: this little app icon design trick has been successfully used by some of the biggest and most powerful apps, including Snapchat, Instagram, and others. This technique can make specific icon design elements more prominent and easily recognizable.
- Choose colors that will preserve the ‘pop’ effect of your icon no matter the background: test your app icon against various backgrounds to make sure it looks good when placed upon lighter or darker wallpapers. The last thing any app maker wants is to have their product deleted because it clashes with the overall aesthetics of a user's device.
There are more tips and tricks to try, but the above six are usually enough to help you create an icon that will catch the user’s eye, represent your app effectively, and leave a lasting impression.
Before you A/B test icon your application in accordance with our guide below, make sure you have up to 5 attention-grabbing app icon designs to choose from. In the long run, you’ll only have to stick with one. But if you make the right choice, it is sure to take your mobile app profit
to the next level.
Wondering how to customize app icons and transform your viewers to paying users? Neither your colleagues nor family members will effectively help you get it right. That’s where laser-focused A/B testing (also referred to as split testing) comes into play.